Administrative Guidelines for ELearning
The Eastern Greene Schools Board of Trustees recognizes the need for students to learn through self-directed activities outside of the regular classroom. The Indiana Department of Education permits school corporations across the state of Indiana to provide alternative means of instruction for professional development and during inclement weather or emergency situations. The following information will guide administrators, teachers, staff, and students when preparing for eLearning days.
● All students are expected to participate in eLearning days.
● All students will have an eLearning education plan. Students will access these assignments through Google Classroom. Teachers will provide information to parents on how to login to Google Classroom. All work should be completed and submitted to teachers three (3) days after the last eLearning day. Students will be counted present if school work is successfully completed on time.
● Parents must contact the office in the event of an illness on an eLearning day.
● On eLearning days, there will be no athletic practices between 8:00 A.M. and 3:30 P.M. Practices and events after 3:30 P.M. will be determined at the discretion of the superintendent, administrator, and athletic director. Attendance for athletes will not be mandatory.
● Certified teachers are expected to virtually engage with students using the following options for missed work on eLearning days.
● Teachers should post assignments by 9:00 A.M. on eLearning days.
● Teachers should be available to respond to students’, parents’, or guardians’ emails between the hours of 9:00 A.M. and 3:00 P.M. Teachers are encouraged to reply within two (2) hours when receiving an email from a student, parent, or guardian.
● Teachers will utilize Eastern Greene’s learning management systems such as: o Google Classroom o Google Meets o Other Eastern Greene Approved Online Curriculum o Teachers may provide a packet of lessons in lieu of technology enhanced learning for students who do not have internet access at home.
● Teachers are encouraged to continue with their normal lessons and topics and not create unconnected eLearning lessons. It is acceptable to practice skills that build on knowledge needed for the particular class or discipline.
● If a teacher was scheduled for a personal leave or sick leave, the teacher may choose to cancel this absence if they can meet the required availability to answer students’ and parents’ questions electronically. Sick leave days may not be used for non-illness related absences on eLearning days. Non-Certified Staff Compensation During eLearning Non-Certified staff will be paid during eLearning days as long as they are willing to help with needed tasks during the day. If the employee is called and asked to help with a task that fits with their normal job assignment they must be available and willing to help in order to be paid. Otherwise, they could use a day of leave or choose to not be paid.
● Options for eLearning days: o The employee may use a leave day. o The employee may choose to help make contact with students/parents to check on their progress. The employee will help connect the student/parent with help if necessary. The employee will help with other specified tasks that fit their normal job activities. Secretaries/Treasurers: Administrators will advise secretaries and treasurers on whether to work or not on eLearning days dependent upon conditions.
● Options for eLearning days: o The employee may use a leave day. o The employee may remotely work at home after receiving administrative approval. o The employee may make up the time during the pay period by making arrangements with the administrator.
● Options for eLearning days: o The employee may use a leave day. o The employee may choose to work on duties and projects assigned by the transportation director. Custodians: Staff are expected to work on eLearning days unless a State of Emergency is declared for Greene County.
● Additional Options for eLearning days: o The employee may use a leave day. o The employee may choose to not be paid. o The employee may make up the time during the pay period by making arrangements with the administrator and Maintenance Director. School Lunch Staff:
● Chartwells supervisor will advise staff on whether they will work on eLearning days.